Access to GP services will soon improve for residents of Calderdale as a brand new surgery at Sowerby Bridge gets set to open its doors in November 2011.
The Sowerby Bridge branch of the Meadow Dale Group Practice will be housed at Allan House, Station Road, Sowerby Bridge, Halifax, HX6 3AB and will be provided by Assura Leeds LLP, a partnership between 26 GP practices and leading healthcare provider Assura Medical.
Meadow Dale Group Practices currently has two branch surgeries in Elland and Ovenden and the Sowerby Bridge surgery is the final practice to open. All three surgeries are open to new patients and offer extended weekend and evening opening hours from 8am to 8pm, Monday to Friday and from 8am to 1pm on Saturday including bank holidays.
Angela Monaghan, chair of NHS Calderdale, said: “Once this new practice opens it will provide much needed GP services to the residents of Sowerby Bridge. Any residents wishing to register with this group practice can do so now at either the Elland or Ovenden surgeries and then simply transfer to the new Sowerby Bridge surgery once it opens.”
Dr Ken McGechaen, a Leeds GP and chairman of Assura Leeds LLP said: “We are committed to providing patients in Calderdale with high quality, easy and convenient access to a GP or nurse. We are confident that the extended opening hours will make it easier for people to see a healthcare professional at a time more convenient to them.
“As you are registered with the group practice you can access services at any of the three practices. For example if you live in Sowerby Bridge but work in Ovenden, you can go to either of those two or the one in Elland if you wish. This gives patients much more choice and flexibility.”
In 2008 Calderdale was identified by the Department of Health as one of the ‘least well’ served districts for GPs in the country. During 2008 NHS Calderdale ran a large scale consultation called ‘Practice Plus’. Over 2,000 residents took part and their feedback was included in the design of the service.
Press enquiries to:
Russell Elliott, Assura Leeds LLP. Tel: 020 7380 1794
Amanda Dissanayaka Tel: 01924 870061
Notes to the editor
Assura Leeds LLP:
- is a 50:50 joint venture partnership between Assura Medical and 26 GP practices
- is a long-term, collaborative partnership between Assura Medical and more than 121 local GPs to provide community-based services which offer patients an additional choice
- is owned 50% by the GP practices and 50% by Assura Medical and is run by a clinical management board (CMB) which comprises of four GPs, a business director and an Assura Medical regional general manager; and
- currently operates a community dermatology service as well as the Meadow Dale Group Practice in Elland and Ovenden which is open from 8am to 8pm Monday to Friday and from 8am to 1pm on Saturday including Bank Holidays.
Assura Medical provides all the necessary support in the way of funding, service and commercial expertise, IT, business processes and additional resources. As a partner to the NHS, Assura Medical has a track record of forming partnerships with groups of GPs in order to provide high quality and safe healthcare services in primary and community settings closer to the patient’s home.
- NHS Calderdale is the main NHS body responsible for healthcare and health improvement for people living in the district. NHS Calderdale commissions – that is plans and pays for – any health services you might need. This includes hospitals, ambulances, mental health and other specialist services. NHS Calderdale also agrees contracts with local GPs, dentists, pharmacists and optometrists to deliver high-quality services for local people.