We provide health and care services across the country. Since 2006 we’ve treated more than 6 million people, making sure that everyone feels the difference.
Part of the Virgin Group, we make a real difference to people’s lives through our health and care services.
Since we started on our journey we’ve been focused on delivering high quality care, good value and the fantastic customer service you’d expect from Virgin.
We’ve invested in innovative technologies, using our vast experience to deliver improvements and innovations to community and primary care services across the country. We were the first to invest in a secure, truly mobile technology which freed our nurses from office bases and gave them a third more time to spend with their patients.
We were the first NHS provider to ask the people using our services how likely they would be to recommend them, using the feedback we got to make more than 1,000 changes each and every month across all of our services as a direct result.
Now, more than a decade into our journey we’re still helping everyone feel the difference.
“Virgin Care could demonstrate through documentary evidence that following acquisition of services, they had managed to bring about a sustained, significant improvement to patient care.”
CQC report on Virgin Care Services Limited NHS Community Services in August 2017.
We developed and launched the Care Coordination Centre model which is helping keep people healthy, happy and at home. Our innovative technology, bringing together records from the whole health service, is allowing our Care Navigators to empower patients to look after their own health, stay well and reduce pressure on hospital services.
We’re joining-up health and social care in Bath and North East Somerset, delivering a ‘service without walls’ for children and families in Essex, investing in new technology to improve community care for adults in West Lancashire and continuing our work on the Improving Lives project in East Staffordshire as well as having created and delivered a consistent, equitable Children’s Community Service in Wiltshire.
In late 2017, we launched the first Virgin Care Private pay-as-you-go Health and Wellbeing Clinic in Birmingham, offering local people the extra choice and convenience of a city centre service and relaunched the Feel the Difference Fund, £100,000 of ring-fenced funding dedicated to empowering our colleagues to implement their ideas for improving services.
We’re incredibly proud of the work we’ve done. You can hear more about Virgin Care from Sir Richard Branson and our Chief Executive Bart Johnson, and read about Sir Richard Branson’s pride for Virgin Care in his blog here.
“If and when I could take a dividend from Virgin Care (which would make us a profit over and above our overall investment), I will invest 100% of that money back into helping NHS patients young and old, with our frontline employees deciding how best to spend it.”
Sir Richard Branson in his blog, 12 January 2018
Virgin Care’s performance
Where you might find us
We operate more than 400 health and care services throughout the country. The vast majority are free at the point of need, publicly-funded services we are commissioned to run by the NHS or by local authorities.
Each service is unique, but they fall into five broad types:
- Virgin Care Private health and wellbeing services – easy-to-access, paid-for services in cities offering convenient appointments and additional services as well as a fantastic customer experience. Find out more at virgincareprivate.co.uk
- Primary care services – GP practices, urgent care centres, minor injury units and walk-in centres
- Intermediate care services – usually services that your GP refers you for such as audiology, dermatology, physiotherapy, podiatry and rheumatology, to name a few
- Community services – wheelchair services, prison healthcare, sexual health, community hospitals, neuro-rehabilitation, frail/elderly care, health visiting, district nursing, services for children with complex mental, physical and sensory learning difficulties, end of life care
- Social care services – Such as services for people with a learning disability, services supporting people who are looking for work, services supporting people to live independently and the ‘Wellbeing College’ bringing together a variety of services to help keep people healthy
As well as directly providing services, in East Staffordshire and in Bath and North East Somerset we’re a ‘prime contractor’. This means we oversee services as well as providing them, ensuring they work in a joined-up way and the people who use them have a consistent experience.
Our story so far
(Click to expand)