Welcome to the Parkinson’s Nurse Specialist service
Susan Charlton RGN and Rachel Seymour RGN
The Parkinson’s Nurse Specialist is an experienced General Registered Nurse with specialist training, knowledge and skills in Parkinson’s related conditions. They work closely with GPs, Consultants and other health professionals and aim to improve the quality of lives for people with Parkinson’s and their carers.
The Nurse Specialist service is not an urgent or emergency service.
More about us
The service is for adults over the age of 18 years with a diagnosis of Parkinson’s or Parkinsonism who have been diagnosed by a specialist Consultant and who are registered with a GP practice within Bath and North East Somerset (please use the contact details to the right of this page to enquire further).
How does this service work / what’s involved in this service?
The Parkinson’s Nurse Specialist offers:
- Telephone support and medication advice for patients, carers and other health care professionals
- Home visits to the housebound patient inclusive of nursing and care homes
- Informal information group sessions for the newly-diagnosed patient
- Multi-disciplinary working and liaison
- Follow up clinic appointments with the nurse specialist and clinical assessments for the Parkinson’s patient
- A source of local information and sign posting for people with Parkinson’s
For a comprehensive guide to the services we oversee in Bath and North East Somerset visit www.bathneshealthandcare.nhs.uk
Please type in your starting point in the box below to give you directions to the service location.
How do I access this service?
You can access this service if you have a confirmed diagnosis of a Parkinson’s condition, by asking your GP or Consultant Specialist or any other health care or social care professional involved in your care to refer you.
Access to the Parkinson’s Nurse Specialist service is by written referral from your GP, consultant or other health care professional involved in your care.
If in doubt please contact your local Parkinson’s Nurse Specialist using the contact details at the top of this page.
Essential information for patients
- Your first appointment with the Nurse Specialist following diagnosis by Consultant will be in a clinic setting dependent on your Consultant
- You will receive a written appointment letter from our admin support team; this will detail the time and place
- At this appointment a comprehensive assessment may include the following:
- Blood pressure and weight
- Review of your Parkinson’s medication and symptom control (if appropriate)
- An assessment of your motor function (movements/mobility) and may include a cognitive assessment (memory)
- Future appointments would usually be approximately 6 monthly, alternating with the Consultant
In what areas is this service available?
The service is available for patients registered with a GP in Bath and North East Somerset.
We record all the information about you confidentially on our clinical system. Click here to get more information about how we use health records.
Non-English speakers and other formats
We provide all our leaflets in other languages and formats. Please let us know if you would like a different format or language.
Our commitment to you
Virgin Care takes your dignity and privacy very seriously and we will at all times respect your confidentiality. Please treat our staff with respect so we can provide you with the very best care we can. Click here to find out more about your rights and responsibilities.
Your opinion really matters to us
Please let us know if you have a comment, a compliment or a complaint by filling out one of our feedback forms or telling a member of the team. Alternatively, if you would like to make an official complaint you can find out more from our How to make a complaint section.