Welcome to the B&NES Specialist Nursing service
Our Specialist Nursing Service aims to provide specialist home nursing for specific conditions such as Cancer, Diabetes, Parkinson’s, MS, MND, tissue viability or Chronic Heart Failure.
More about us
This service is for housebound adult patients in need of nursing care, and who are living in the Bath & North East Somerset areas or who are registered with a GP in those areas.
The service provides a range of specialist nurses to aid in the care and management of specific conditions. Our nursing team includes:
Heart Failure Specialist Nurse
- The Nurse Specialists receive referrals from the community ECHO service, GPs, RUH the BRI and any other member of the Health or Social Care Team. The patient only needs confirmation of a diagnosis of heart failure on ECHO before being seen by the Nurse Specialist. The Nurse Specialist provides a holistic assessment of the patient and can help with symptoms such as breathlessness, oedema, pain and anxiety as well as offering counseling and emotional support and sign posting to other helpful services. The Nurse can also provide palliative care to patients who are at the end of their lives. There are currently three Heart Failure Nurse Specialists. The Heart Failure Service runs from Monday to Friday from 9am until 5pm except for Public Holidays
IV Therapy Specialist Nurse
- Provides a community based IV therapy service in clinics or in patients’ homes for those requiring IV antibiotics, IV fluids, IV medication, blood transfusion and Venesection. We also provide central line care and maintenance. The aim of the service is to prevent admission to hospital and make treatments more accessible for patients. The service also supports early discharge from hospital.
Lymphoedema Specialist Nurse
- Providing advice & support on skin care, exercise & a healthy lifestyle, as well as treatment such as short intensive courses of bandaging, fitting of compression garments & manual lymphatic drainage.
Multiple Sclerosis Specialist Nurse
- The MS Specialist Nurse sees people in a variety of different settings including nurse led clinics and at home, in order to provide information, advice and support for people with MS, their family members and health and social service professionals involved in their care.
Parkinson’s Nurse Specialist
- The Parkinson’s Nurse Specialist is a resource for patients, family members and for professionals, providing information, advice and support for people with Parkinson’s, their family members, and health and social service professionals involved in their care. The nurse runs clinics to assess & discuss problems/concerns and review medications; she provides telephone or email advice; does in-reach onto hospital wards, provides education to promote a better understanding of Parkinson’s, and liaises with other health and social service professionals.
Tissue Viability Specialist Nurse
- Provides a service for patients with complex or problematic wounds, giving advice on pressure ulcer prevention and specialist equipment.
For a comprehensive guide to the services we oversee in Bath and North East Somerset visit www.bathneshealthandcare.nhs.uk