Welcome to Devon Children’s Short Breaks Service (Barnes)
We provide short breaks for children and young people from four years of age until their 18th birthday.
More about us
Our services include:
- Short breaks: day care and overnight stays
- Assessment: short period of stay to assess certain areas of care, for example epilepsy, behaviour, sleep patterns, diet, continence and medication
- Treatment: working with other professionals to provide treatment plans and
- Support for families
We invite you and your child to visit one of our homes before they have respite care. While they are with us, they are encouraged to join in with daily living and leisure activities.
We use a range of communication methods to suit your child’s individual needs and ability. Our aim is to provide a relaxed home from home atmosphere in our homes for you and your child, and to provide a positive service and enjoyable experience.
An overview of our services:
- Meadowpark – a five bedded home equipped to meet the needs of children and young people with significant medical needs and/or physical disability
- Barnes – a five bedded home equipped to meet the needs of children and young people with additional needs including challenging behaviour
- Hillcrest – a three bedded home equipped to meet the needs of children and young people with additional needs, including challenging behaviour
- Welland – a seven bedded home equipped to meet the needs of children and young people with additional needs including challenging behaviour and/or complex medical and physical needs
Please note, residential care for children under eight years is discouraged although we try to support children under eight through foster placements.
The Care Quality Commission (CQC) is the Government’s health watchdog, responsible for ensuring that healthcare services registered with it provide high quality care that is safe, effective and compassionate. The CQC inspected our service in June 2017 and rated it as ‘good’. View CQC report.Download Barnes Statement of Purpose here (pdf 0.20mb) Download Short Breaks Family Handbook here (pdf 0.15mb)