Children’s Physiotherapists provide a range of assessments, treatment, advice and support to children and young people.
They are part of the multidisciplinary team focussing on the needs of the child or young person and their family and they do this by working across a variety of settings with other professionals from Health, Education, Social Care and the Voluntary Sector.
Whilst Physiotherapists are mainly based within community clinics or Child Development Centres there are times when they may visit children and young people in their schools or homes if necessary.
We offer specialised assessments and various treatment approaches according to the identified needs of the child or young person including:
- advice regarding positioning, postural management, splinting and specialist equipment
- advice regarding specialist Children’s Orthotics.
- individual home and/or school Physiotherapy programmes.
- the Bobath approach which is used for children with neurological conditions. (a treatment method for children with Cerebral Palsy)
- advice and support for home and school regarding mobility and access issues
This service supports children and young people with recognised difficulties and/or impairments including those with specific conditions such as:
- Cerebral Palsy
- Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy
- Spina Bifida
- Juvenile Idiopathic Arthritis
As well as other difficulties including gait anomalies, developmental delay and motor coordination difficulties.
Your child’s records
Any information held about your child is kept securely in a file or on electronic information systems. We use the information to:
- Record important health and social care information
- Help professionals to care for your child
- Provide appropriate support and care to children, young people and families
- Develop and improve services and measure how well we are doing
We will only share information about a child/young person with your consent unless required by law or the data is anonymised. However in some circumstances, when we feel that your child or others are at risk, we may share information without consent. More information on how we use health records.
Non-English speakers and other formats
We provide all our leaflets in other languages and formats. Please let us know if you would like a different format or language.
Our commitment to your child
Virgin Care takes your dignity and privacy very seriously and we will at all times respect your confidentiality. Please treat our staff with respect so we can provide you with the very best care we can. Click here to find out more about your rights and responsibilities.
Your opinion really matters to us
Please let us know if you have a comment, a compliment or a complaint by filling out one of our feedback forms or telling a member of the team. Alternatively, if you would like to make an official complaint you can find out more from our How to make a complaint section.